Sometimes when you're sick it's hard to look past the end of your red nose and pile of kleenex and find the good in life. My grandparents came into town for the weekend from Colorado. This is a rare treat. What is even more rare is that Landon shares the same birthday as my mother-in-law and my grandpa! Yes, rare indeed. So this last weekend was to be one of great celebration - a triple birthday party.
Only I was sick. So I stayed home from going out to dinner on Friday hoping I'd be up to going the birthday party on Saturday. And then I stayed home Saturday from the party hoping I'd at least be able to see my grandparents on Sunday. And then I stayed home Sunday and missed them all together.
The pity party was looming before me. So instead of giving in to it, I changed my attitude and looked for things to be grateful for...
THE FINER THINGS
1. That my selfish desire to see Oma and Opa didn't overcome my good sense to keep my germs to myself.
2. That the rest of my family was healthy and able to spend the weekend with them.
3. A nice long talk with Oma on the phone - the next best thing to seeing her - and her comment on how fine a job we are doing as parents. That was nice to hear!
4. Sweet pink flowers from Joel.
5. Purple tulips and homemade chicken noodle soup from Mom. Did you know that if you put a shiny penny into the water with your tulips, it'll keep them from getting droopy? I read it somewhere last week, and it works! I guess that's something else to be thankful for.
6. Wonderful husband and friends who pinch hit for me in the nursery on Sunday and Tuesday Bible study without even a little hesitation. Thanks everyone!
7. Homemade Get Better Sorbet from Megan. I've never even heard of such a thing, and there it was in my freezer! Grapefruit, lemon, honey, and cayenne. Yummy/soothing down my throat into my tummy and then the afterburn. Quite a new experience! You're a pioneer, Meg! And tonight when I start my bout of coughing, I'm going to see if the cayenne will burn it away!
8. Emails to see how I was getting along.
9. A short conversation with Opa, who said he was sorry he didn't get to see me, but "when you're sick there's nothing you can do. BUT if I come down again and don't get to see you, I'll be MAD!" He's so cute!
10. That Joel and Landon have not gotten sick.
11. A beautiful quilt to curl up in.
THE BASER THINGS
1. Kleenex with lotion
4. A piece of the birthday cake
5. A comfy couch
6. Chicken sausage and potatoes - Yum!
7. MEDICINE!!! Hopefully I'll be on the mend SOON!