If you were to place a regular size canvas in front of a child and say, "Paint a picture," they may turn tail and run. However with mini canvases, even the most hesitant feel that it can be accomplished. This month we will paint a mini canvas. These can also be great Mother's Day presents. What mother wouldn't love to have an "original" piece of art from her children!
Supplies: mini canvas (ours were 2 x 3 inches), paint (we used acrylics), paintbrushes, additional embellishments (optional)
Cover your work area before you begin and be sure to wear a paint shirt/smock. Acrylics will not wash out of your clothes. Paint your canvas, including the sides, with one coat of paint. Let dry. If your canvas is not covered evenly, add another coat of paint and let dry.
This is the fun part... paint - whatever you want! Just remember two things:
- Wash your brush before painting with another color, so that your colors stay pure.
- Let the paint dry before adding another layer or details to what you just painted.
- Can't find a mini canvas? Use a small piece of cardboard.
- Want to hang your masterpiece from a doorknob? Staple ribbon to the top corners on the back of the canvas.
- Use several painted canvases to make a mini collage on your wall.
- Add embellishments to your painting: paper/silk flowers, rhinestones, 3-D stickers, etc.
That's it - be creative and have fun! Make sure to post pictures of your finished piece to our Flickr group!